Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Man, Does That Guy Have Issues: Writing Workout

                This exercise comes from a conversation I had with a friend in my creative writing club. She felt like her poetry lacked depth and meaning. I encouraged her to be vulnerable, pick something she felt strongly about. A teenage girl has got to have at least one insecurity, right?
But she was hesitant. She didn’t think she could share her writing if it was so personal. So I told her to write from the point of view of another person.
                So here’s the assignment: write from the point of view of a very sad or very angry person. It can be a historic figure, a character from a book, or someone you just made up. Write a poem, a monologue, or a short story.
                But the challenge is to avoid typical vulnerability clichés. Here are some words you are not allowed to use unless you want to sound like some middle-schooler writing angst-fueled poetry in the back of her math notebook (Seventh grade was a really rough time, you guys):
                Sad
                Broken
                Hurt
                Alone
                Vulnerable

Here’s a poem I wrote for a poetry slam a little while ago, from the point of view of a fifties housewife:

I remember the day you left
We stood on the train platform with all the other couples
I was wearing that dress of mine you liked
My promise to wait for you
And you leaned in and kissed me on the head
And told me you weren't going to change
And then you said goodbye

Three years later, I met you again on that platform
I was wearing the same dress
You smiled and said that your uniform was different but you weren't
But you wouldn't talk to me about the war
I asked you about Japan and you said
"Well, you've seen the posters."
Your hands shook in mine as we said I do
You got dressed in the dark so I couldn't see the scars

But everybody told me this was normal
Just get a little house out in the suburbs
Have a couple kids
He'll get a job in the city
You'll stay home and cook dinner
Don't talk about the war you could never understand
I knew I would never understand
So I told myself that it was fine
I pretended I didn't hear you calling at night
Searching for the brothers you'd lost
Men that I would never meet
I was able to ignore it till the time our little girl cried
And you said, "Shut her up, I can't listen to anymore children scream."
It wasn't my place
I didn't say
When I realized that in a world where content was sold in a sear's catalog
Next to joy and a new blender
It was still something we would never be

The other wives in neighborhood never talked about it
Their men had been through the same thing
Came home to the same strangers
Why did we never talk about it?
Did we think that if we turned the tv up enough
Flip the pages of Good Housekeeping loud enough
We could drown out the sound of bullets coming from our husbands' ears

The noise makes my head hurt
I can't think straight
No, I don't want anymore pills
I want you
Except I want the version that give dandelions
Picked on the side of the road
Because you just remembered that they were my favorite flower
The version before you got on that train
Before some general sat you down
Gave you the power of God
To destroy a thousand lives instantly
And two lives years later

Hello, Senator McCarthy
Yes I would like to report a traitor
That man sitting in my house is not my husband
He is not of this country
He is still in Japan
Still sitting in the pilots' seat
Finger on the trigger
Ready to drop
And we are Hiroshima lovers
Shadows blown up on the walls of a suburban home by a bomb that detonated 20 years ago
The shape of us standing on that train platform
I am wearing your favorite dress

And you lean in and kiss me goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment