Thursday, November 14, 2013

Birthday Post

     It's my birthday today! I'm officially an adult! Too bad I'm not into gambling or smoking. All I did for my birthday was go to work and memorize my Latin and Greek roots. Wooooooo.

     But one nice birthday story:

     My grandma never had much money in her life. She was a teacher in a time when women were not expected (or allowed) to have a career if they had kids. For much of her adult life, her family lived off of only my grandpa's income. So she was forty when she had enough money to buy one pair of tiny diamond earrings for herself. She bought my mom a pair of her own when she turned eighteen, so she "wouldn't have to wait until she was forty." 

This morning, my mom gave me a little grey box containing a pair of diamond earrings.



P.S. My other birthday present was finding out that my friend looks a lot like this cover of Madame Bovary:



No comments:

Post a Comment