Wednesday, November 20, 2013

How to Finish NaNoWriMo (with as little crying as possible)



We are already halfway through November! Thanksgiving is just around the corner, but more importantly, so is the Nanowrimo deadline. Since I've won three times, I thought I would offer some advice on how to crawl, claw, and drag your way into the winner's circle.

1. Now is not the time to fall behind.

I know weekends are a Nanowrimo procrastinator's best friend. But that is a luxury you are quickly losing, with only two Saturdays and one Sunday left in November. Shove aside all possible responsibilities to keep up with your word count even on the dreaded weeknights.

2. You don't have to wrap up your plot in 50,000 words.

Winning Nanowrimo is all about the word count. So don't rack your brain trying to figure out how to string together every plot hole in the 16,660 words you have left (because you're totally caught up, right?) Ending your story after 50,000 words should be part of the post-November edit. You know, after you go into creative hibernation for the next four weeks.

3. Here's what to do if you finish your plot in under 50,000 words.

This happened to me my second time doing Nanowrimo. I find stretching out your ending is difficult and time consuming, so it's better to go back and add somewhere in your story. I went for a character-development focused flashback. It can be placed nearly anywhere in the story and is less complicated than an entire new subplot. Or maybe you want to add a new subplot, just remember tip #2 and stop after 50,000 words.

4. If at all possible, finish early.

For a non-techie person like me, the submission process is a nightmare the first time around. It literally brought me to tears (I was fifteen, but still.) Finishing early offers you the breathing room to know that you won't lose because you can't figure out Microsoft word or your computer dies or any number of non-writing related problems. Plus, you get to lord over all the other participants who are scrambling to finish on November 30. It's a delicious feeling, my friends.

5. I believe in you.

But not as much as you should believe in you. You've come this far and you're almost there. There are few greater feelings in November than seeing your word count bar turn green and holding your winner's certificate hot off the printer. Hold on to those images and get that 50,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment